Friday, May 25, 2007

Roland Garros for Nadal

The third tennis Grand Slam will commence this Sunday in the famous clay courts of Roland Garros, Paris. Am I excited? Tell me about it! I have already got tickets for QF on June 5 (thanks to the SLB Committee Enterprise). Can't wait for the day. This is going to be my first visit to Roland Garros. Been to Paris Masters in Bercy twice. Wimbledon twice. Missed the Australian Open last year. But no RG so far.

Although I do not quite enjoy playing on a clay court myself or seeing people playing on it - it's slow - yet again, it's a Grand Slam for which every tennis lover will die to be there given the opportunity.

I bet Nadal would win it, despite of his recent loss to Federer last week. I think he will come back much stronger this time. After all, it was his first loss after 81 consecutive wins on clay! A record-breaking achievement! Still, Federer is his main challenger. The guy is incredible. Despite of no coach at the moment, he proved that no one could ever underestimate him.

The dream final is Nadal vs Federer. However, French Open is well known for its surprising champion. Many unseeded or low seeded players have won it before, simply because of its magic clay! Perhaps, it's good to see some surprises this year too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's because I beat you on clay, isn't it? ;)

I don't really enjoy watching Nadal. His forehand somehow looks weird to me. But I can't wait to see Henin back. Love her one-handed backhand... If only Maria Sharapova hits backhand like Henin does...

Novel Tjahyadi said...

LOL... The truth is even so I always beat you hard on clay!
I noticed Nadal's forehand is the reason why he's so good at clay. It enforces his opponents to play far from the baseline.
I love players with one-handed backhand too. Henin is one of them. You should watch Richard Gasquet. His b/h is amazing. He just needs to be more consistent on his games.
BTW, do you still play tennis?

Anonymous said...

I still play tennis, but I don't think I've improved since the last time we played together. You?

Novel Tjahyadi said...

Hi Bleu, good on you. I thought I improved a lot during my years in London, Jakarta and Dubai. Played a lot back then. Moving to Australia and now Paris... I only play once in a while. Frankly, my games have been quite rusty. But I believe I still have a big ball to beat you! Ahahaha....