Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Borat, The Queen, Chris Gardner and Ms Sunshine

I have just recently watched those 4 movies on DVD. Outdated, as some of you may say. The truth is I have not been to a cinema for a while. The last time was for Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. These are my personal reviews on those 4 movies with which you may or may not agree.

Borat... it's simply an overhype! Maybe I put my expectation too high prior to watching it, having read the reviews and the fact that it won the Golden Globe (am I correct?). I thought I was going to see a Michael Moore type of movie or a superbly hilarious movie at the least. Frankly, I was only laughing for the first 5 minutes. I watched the rest with some wrinkles on my forehead. I was disappointed and simply disgusted with the screenplay. The dialogues are so indecent! The script is too vulgar with a tendency to cheap and cheesy sex jokes. (Borat, be mature! If he could have ever made it more thoughtful, I think it would have been much better and enjoyable.) The scene I hated most was when he and Azamat were wrestling naked. Only one word can describe it: disgusting! It forced me to fast forward to the next scene. Needless to say, the DVD is now in the trash bin.

The Queen... I enjoyed Helen Mirren's performance here. Like many non-British audience, it was the first time I heard about her. In fact, in this movie, she succeeded in creating that royal character. Not an easy job to do, I guess. As a result, one can see "the Queen" throughout the movie. Brilliant acting! Well deserving for all the awards. Regardless whether or not the whole story is true, it is always interesting to see the life of a royal family. No matter how hard the Queen was trying to hide her feelings, the movie reminds us all that at the end of the day she is only human.

The Pursuit of Happyness... (No, it's not a typo! Happyness with 'y', instead of 'i'). For some people, it may be a simple drama inspired by the past life of Chris Gardner. But to me personally, there is a lot of lessons learned out of it . The fact that I always like movies based on true stories made it easier for me to enjoy and digest it. To me, it's more than just a short excerpt of Mr. Gardner's biography on how he struggled to be successful in his past personal and professional life (he is now the owner of an investment company and a sought-after motivational speaker in the US). As a father, I was touched by his strong determination and commitment to be a good father (and a good husband) even when he was broke. Trying to put myself on his shoes, I bet it was not an easy job. If the movie pictured him right, as an individual person, the guy has a full swing of the integrated character ethics in him and undoubtedly he deserves what he earns now.

Little Miss Sunshine... I would give 2.5 out of 5. Lightweight drama, in my humble opinion. A little too Hollywood. However, I must admit the screenplay is different. The author successfully developed a simple story to describe different characters in that movie. The ending is unexpected, though rather flat. Still, it's enjoyable.

No comments: