Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Trouble with Cinderella

Yesterday, my wife and I took our girls to see Kenneth Branagh's version of Cinderella. While I am not going to be bragging here about the quality of the movie, I thought it was admittedly quite entertaining and well made, to say the least, although none of the actors are unknown to me, except Cate Blanchett who interpreted the role of the stepmother with her classic style. The visual effects obviously help add up to the magic they are due to showcase to children.

The fairy tale is so classic that you may remember every single twist of it. However, as a parent, I found one troubling fact about the movie, particularly knowing that my kids were there watching.

Nearly all the leading and supporting characters in the movie has a line to say "Have courage and be kind". And they say it over and over. With the latter ("be kind"), I simply have no issue. I bet it's in every parent's advisory book to their children.

Yet, the "have courage" part is what I intrigued me the most. It does not seem to resonate with the way Cinderella handles her domestic abuse from her stepmother and stepsisters. As the main character who is supposedly a role model for every girl, she does not reflect the girl power, defiance, courage nor boldness, unlike Elsa or Anna in Frozen or Merida in Brave.

At one point in the movie, I started to get excited when Cinderella showed a slight courage to challenge her stepmother when they were having an argument over the glass shoe. I thought we would see some unexpected twist of the story. But my hope was cut too short. Shortly, we were reminded again how submissive Cinderella was after her stepmother locked her in inside the attic. She just gave in.

To her defense though, she says it clearly that she does it all for the sake of keeping her promise to her parents to cherish the house they love. This, I agree! Keeping a promise is a lesson that our kids can learn.

Cinderella is fragile and unfortunately irrelevant. Being kind does not always have to be tame or subdued. Being kind does not always mean you have to suffer to make people happy. Being kind does not mean you have to give in your courage.

After all, the movie is rated PG. As parents, it is our responsibility to remain critical and to teach our kids about the values in life.

2 comments:

Ronald Widha said...

playing devil's advocate, the movie is based in the age where the role of women is much different to where we are today. But I do agree that injecting a little of modern/timely values couldn't hurt - especially it is by the end of the day an interpretation.

Novel Tjahyadi said...

Yes, the tale was created in the 50's. Different setting than today. How time flies. Cinderella is no longer relevant to this digital era.