Sunday, September 09, 2007

10 Things about Paris/France

Alright, we have been living in Paris for over a year now. For some people, living in Paris is like a dream comes true. Hhmmm... is that really the case? I dare to say I am so lucky to have had this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Like they say, opportunity never comes twice. I have lived in different cities before. Some has plus, some has minus. You'll never get all that you want. I guess I have compromised since long ago. Now, I try to enjoy Paris as much as I could, of course, with Dita and Nadia.

Back to what we've experienced by far, I would like to list down 10 things I like and I dislike about Paris or France. Please note that this is purely based on my personal opinions as a stranger living in Paris. You may or may not agree with me. And please note the word 'dislike', which I carefully chose, because in my opinion 'dislike' is softer than 'hate'. I would not opt of 'hate' in this case, because there is really nothing you hate as long as you are ready to compromise. Moreover, the list below is displayed in random orders.

10 Things I Like about Paris/France

1. The diversity of its landscape and the countrysides. Beauty!
2. History - so rich, particularly the monarchy prior to the Revolution.
3. Food - diverse and good standard.
4. Wine - oh la la... and they are cheap! Alsace wines are my favorite.
5. Public transportation networks - think twice before you buy a car.
6. Parks in the city - maintaining the air quality and giving more options for the kids.
7. A whole year exhaustive list of events: concerts, kids, opera, ballet, ....
8. Weather not so extreme - summer is not as humid as Dubai, winter is not as terrible as Moscow. No complaint.
9. Tourist attractions - historical monuments, museums, theme parks, ... Love them all!
10. Safe - well at least, if you avoid certain arrondisements.

10 Things I Dislike about Paris/France

1. The language - still struggling.
2. Bureaucracy and paperworks - when will they learn to have them all electronically? OMG, cheques are still used all over the place!
3. Lousy customer service - "You can wait until I'm good and ready" attitude.
4. Dog shits on the trotoir - hell to the dogs!
5. Snobbish people - not everyone, but when you come across one, you feel like punching them!
6. Smelly guys in the bus/metro in the summer - Isn't France famous for its eau de toilette? Yes, of course, and I think it was invented for those guys who only take shower once a week!
7. Gloomy summer - at least this year.
8. Strikes on the public transports and access to metro - not handicapped nor infant friendly
9. Expensive (living costs & tax) and small (accommodations) - I thought everything is just overpriced.
10. D.I.Y - oh, how I missed the cheap labours back home....

In the end of the day, we have started to get used to our lives and routines here. Now, Paris is our home until... God knows when.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imagine this combination: non-English speaking smelly cab driver, bureaucratically rejected five passengers despite two were children below five, while charging high meter-rate. I guess lousy customer service and being snobbish are also inclusive in that combination... :)

My experience was not good. Everything was expensive, i.e. for the same amount of money you get much better hotel, food, service, etc. in the U.S. Food were kinda questionable, but I'd love to come back to finish off all the historical places and museums.

Novel Tjahyadi said...

bleu, I can imagine you pain. That is a good reason to come back whilst I'm still here, so you can save a lot on the accommodations (we offer 25% off :P) and buy me a wine instead. Then again, Paris is not necessarily the best city to find a comfort, but the public transports are pretty good. I would always avoid taxi, except for the airport. Based on my experience, when we visit a place, it's better to know and ask someone who lives there who can tell us or even take us to the right places and ways.

As you know, my invite is always on. Perhaps you wanna save it for Roland Garros 2008. Think about it, so I can book the tickets for us from now :-)